This week one of my professors let all the seniors know that we have an “All Senior Art Show” coming up. We have to submit a work of art by next week. Also, the piece can’t be from our senior thesis…it can be an extension of our senior thesis or something else we’ve done this year. Unfortunately I took all my artwork back home a few weeks ago, so I had to decide whether or not to go home this weekend or make a new work of art. I decided to make a new work.
This is the finished collage that will be up–it’s supposed to be a self-portrait but it doesn’t look too much like me. I decided to do a “half-finished” piece, so that you can see a bit of the process involved with my collages. I’ll take pictures once it’s up in the gallery space.
…And I’m almost done with my series! The latest one is of my dad, and this will be my final piece for the series. His neck is a little funky at the moment, and there are areas on his face that I want to rework, but overall, I’m nearly finished. Then I’ll return to three other pieces, work on fixing them up, and then I’ll be done with my collage work during spring break. This senior thesis stuff has been a lot of work, but I’m proud of what I’ve created. These are, without a doubt, the strongest six pieces I’ve created thus far.
Here’s the completed collage for my senior thesis exhibition. This portrait was inspired by my cousin Scott, who passed away from cancer back when I was in high school. He was thirteen at the time, but now he lives on in our memories and the artwork made by my family (there are a lot of creatives in my family).
I’ve been working a lot on my collage of Scott–the background is taking forever! I’ve realized that the process of making collages is very time consuming. Not only am I busy flipping through magazines, trying to find the right colors, but I’m cutting the pages into tiny pieces to reassemble them to form my own images. It takes a while, but seeing the progress I make is well worth the time put in. Here’s the collage of Scott and the more developed collage of Ali.
I need to work on his nose more and the background and his shirt still need a lot more work. Also, his hair needs to be reworked so that he has a more rounded head and not a rectangular looking one.